Alert: Ons Jabeur takes out 2017 Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza to reach second week
Ons Jabeur defeated former champion Garbine Muguruza to become the first Tunisian to reach the round of 16 at Wimbledon.
- What happened: Ons Jabeur made more history for her country as she toppled No 11 seed Garbine Muguruza 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 to become the first Tunisian to reach the second week at Wimbledon.
- Key stat: The No 21 seed won 18 of 22 points at net in the two hour and 26-minute contest.
- Key stat #2: This year’s Birmingham champion improves to 6-13 against seeded players at the Slams. She has now reached the second week in four of her last six Grand Slam appearances.
- Crazy Streak: Jabeur won 16 consecutive points at one juncture of the match, from 0-40 in the ninth game of the second set to three points into the third game of the third set.
- History maker: Jabeur has made history for Tunisia and the Arab world on many occasions. She became the first Arab woman to reach the quarter-finals of a major at the 2020 Australian Open, and became the first Arab woman to win a WTA title this summer on the grass at Birmingham.
- Next opponent: Jabeur will face iga Swiatek of Poland in the round of 16.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.