into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Anisimova through to Wimbledon last eight to face Halep, Tan’s run ends
Amanda Anisimova won against Harmony Tan 6-2, 6-3 on Monday evening and will play Romanian Simona Halep, the No 16 seed, in the next round
American Amanda Anisimova, the No 20 seed, moved into the last eight of Wimbledon by winning against Frenchwoman Harmony Tan 6-2, 6-3 at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Monday evening.
This is her best-ever run at SW19. Anisimova reaches the quarterfinals in a Grand Slam tournament for the second time in her career, after having disputed the semi-final at the Roland Garros 2019.
Anisimova, ranked No 25, will play Romanian Simona Halep, the No 16 seed, next. They played in the quarter-final of Bad Homburg, with Halep winning 6-2, 6-1.
The 20-year-old American beat Chinese Yue Yuan (6-3, 6-4), Lauren Davis (2-6, 6-3, 6-4) and No 11 seed Coco Gauff (6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-1) ahead of her victory.
Earlier in the tournament, Tan, ranked No 115, defeated American wildcard Serena Williams (7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7)), Spaniard Sara Sorribes Tormo, the No 32 seed (6-3, 6-4) and wildcard Katie Boulter (6-1, 6-1).
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), other last 16 results (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass, GBP 40.350.000, most recent results first):
- Simona Halep beat Paula Badosa (4): 6-1, 6-2
- Alize Cornet vs. Ajla Tomljanovic: monday
- Elena Rybakina (17) beat Petra Martic: 7-5, 6-3
- Ons Jabeur (3) beat Elise Mertens (24): 7-6 (9), 6-4
- Jule Niemeier beat Heather Watson: 6-2, 6-4
- Tatjana Maria beat Jelena Ostapenko (12): 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
- Marie Bouzkova beat Caroline Garcia: 7-5, 6-2