into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Wimbledon: Sakkari eliminated ! Tatjana Maria into last 16 vs. Ostapenko
Tatjana Maria won against Maria Sakkari 6-3, 7-5 on Friday afternoon. She’ll face Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, the No 12 seed, in the next round
German Tatjana Maria moved into the last 16 of Wimbledon by winning against Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, 6-3, 7-5 at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Friday.
Maria, ranked No 103, will play Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, the No 12 seed, next.
The 34-year-old German edged out Australian qualifier Astra Sharma (4-6, 6-3, 6-4) and Romanian Sorana Cirstea, the No 26 seed (6-3, 1-6, 7-5) earlier in the tournament.
In the previous rounds, Sakkari, ranked No 5, defeated Australian qualifier Zoe Hives (6-1, 6-4) and Bulgarian Viktoriya Tomova (6-4, 6-3).
London (Grand Slam), other third-round results (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass, GBP 40.350.000, most recent results first):
- Harmony Tan vs. Katie Boulter
- Coco Gauff vs. Amanda Anisimova
- Magdalena Frech vs. Simona Halep
- Paula Badosa vs. Petra Kvitova
- Petra Martic vs. Jessica Pegula
- Qinwen Zheng vs. Elena Rybakina
- Ajla Tomljanovic vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Iga Swiatek vs. Alize Cornet
- Shuai Zhang vs. Caroline Garcia
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Alison Riske: friday
- Angelique Kerber vs. Elise Mertens: friday
- Ons Jabeur (3) beat Diane Parry: 6-2, 6-3
- Heather Watson beat Kaja Juvan: 7-6 (6), 6-2
- Jule Niemeier beat Lesia Tsurenko: 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Jelena Ostapenko beat Irina-Camelia Begu: 3-6, 6-1, 6-1