Wildcard Tim van Rijthoven continues dream run to reach Wimbledon last 16
Tim van Rijthoven beat Nikoloz Basilashvili in straight sets to win his eighth match in a row on grass
Dutch wildcard Tim van Rijthoven upset Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili, the No 22 seed, in straight sets to advance to the last 16 of Wimbledon at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Friday.
Van Rijthoven won 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 in one hour and 42 minutes to extend his winning streak to eight matches. The Dutchman is the upsetter who won the Rosmalen Grass Court Championships as a wild card, beating top-ranked Daniil Medvedev in the final.
Rijthoven, now ranked No 104, will play the winner of the match between top seed Novak Djokovic and No 25 seed Miomir Kecmanovic in the fourth round. He is the first male players ranked outside top-100 qualified for Wimbledon round of 16 since Ernst Gulbis in 2018..
In the previous rounds, the Dutchman won against Argentinian Federico Delbonis (7-6 (7), 6-1, 6-2) and knocked out 15th seeded American Reilly Opelka (6-4, 6-7 (8), 7-6 (7), 7-6 (4)).
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), third-round matches (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass, GBP 40.350.000, most recent results first):
- Frances Tiafoe (23) beat Alexander Bublik: 3-6, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (3), 6-4
- Lorenzo Sonego vs. Rafael Nadal
- Richard Gasquet vs. Botic van de Zandschulp
- Alex Molcan vs. Taylor Fritz
- Nick Kyrgios vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Brandon Nakashima vs. Daniel Elahi Galan Riveros
- Alex De Minaur vs. Liam Broady
- Cristian Garin vs. Jenson Brooksby
- Cameron Norrie vs. Steve Johnson
- Oscar Otte vs. Carlos Alcaraz
- Novak Djokovic vs. Miomir Kecmanovic
- Tommy Paul vs. Jiri Vesely
- Ugo Humbert vs. David Goffin
- Jannik Sinner vs. John Isner