Swiatek tops former No 1 Pliskova in Montreal
Iga Swiatek beat Karolina Pliskova 7-6 (6), 6-2 on Wednesday evening. She’ll play the winner of the match between Romanian Sorana Cirstea and No 14 seed Karolina Muchova in the next round
Pole Iga Swiatek, the top seed, defeated Karolina Pliskova 7-6 (6), 6-2 to reach the last 16 of the Canadian Open at Stade IGA in Montreal on Wednesday evening.
30 – Iga Swiatek has won her tournament debut in each of her last 30 appearances in a WTA event.— OptaAce (@OptaAce) August 9, 2023
Who was the last player to defeat her in a tournament debut? Quiz here:https://t.co/cBrhgv1zCq
Infallible.#OBN23 | @OBNmontreal @WTA_insider @WTA pic.twitter.com/qWR4pmbDX5
The world No 1 has not lost her opening match at a tournament since Cincinnati in 2021 and she continued the trend on a sunny Wednesday in Montreal, pulling away from the former world No 1 in a lopsided second set that saw Swiatek break for 1-0 and 5-1.
Pliskova recovered one of the breaks back with Swiatek serving for the match at 5-1 in the second set, but the Pole broke at 15 to close out her third victory in three tries against Pliskova, in one hour and 48 minutes.
Swiatek, ranked No 1, will play the winner of the match between Romanian Sorana Cirstea and No 14 seed Karolina Muchova next.
She improves to 48-7 on the season and 22-4 on the hard courts in 2023.
In the previous round of the Rogers Cup, Pliskova, ranked No 23, won against Chinese Lin Zhu (6-3, 6-7 (8), 6-2).
Montreal WTA 1000, other second-round results (Stade IGA, hard, USD 2.788.468, most recent results first):
- Petra Kvitova vs. Camila Giorgi
- Jasmine Paolini vs. Madison Keys
- Petra Martic vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Danielle Collins vs. Maria Sakkari
- Marketa Vondrousova vs. Caroline Wozniacki
- Beatriz Haddad Maia vs. Leylah Fernandez
- Jennifer Brady vs. Elena Rybakina
- Anna Blinkova vs. Daria Kasatkina: wednesday
- Sorana Cirstea vs. Karolina Muchova: wednesday
- Liudmila Samsonova (15) beat Qinwen Zheng: 6-3, 6-2
- Jessica Pegula (4) beat Yulia Putintseva (LL): 6-4, 6-4
- Belinda Bencic (12) beat Alycia Parks (Q): 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
- Coco Gauff (6) beat Katie Boulter (Q): 6-2, 6-2
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Sloane Stephens
- Marie Bouzkova beat Caroline Garcia (5): 6-4, 4-6, 6-2