into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
WTA Guadalajara: With Tursunov in her box, Bencic scores first win over Fernandez
Belinda Bencic will play former US Open champion Sloane Stephens in the next round
Swiss Belinda Bencic, the No 10 seed, reached the second round of the Guadalajara Open by beating Canadian Leylah Fernandez 7-5, 6-7 (10), 6-3 at the Centro Panamericano de Tenis on Monday.
Bencic was watched by former Russian pro Dmitry Tursunov, in her box. The Russian was also seen on the practice courts with Bencic and is likely to be working with the Swiss woman.
Earlier this month, it had been reported that Tursunov had parted ways with Emma Raducanu, whom he had been working with since July this year.
Bencic, ranked No 14, will play American Sloane Stephens next. The American, a former US Open champion, dropped only two games in her win over Czech qualifier Linda Fruhvirtova.
Guadalajara WTA 1000, other first-round matches
- Sloane Stephens beat Linda Fruhvirtova (Q): 6-0, 6-2
- Petra Kvitova (16) beat Bernarda Pera: 6-3, 7-5
- Camila Osorio beat Ekaterina Alexandrova (15): 6-4, 7-6 (8)
- Elise Mertens beat Asia Muhammad (Q): 6-3, 6-2
- Marta Kostyuk beat Aliaksandra Sasnovich: 6-1, 6-3
- Bianca Andreescu beat Jil Teichmann: 6-2, 6-4
- Rebecca Marino (Q) beat Ann Li: 6-2, 7-6 (2)
- Liudmila Samsonova beat Kaia Kanepi: 6-1, 7-5
- Lin Zhu beat Alize Cornet: 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Victoria Azarenka beat Elina Avanesyan (LL): 6-4, 6-2
- Elena Rybakina vs. Karolina Pliskova
- Eugenie Bouchard vs. Kayla Day
- Donna Vekic vs. Laura Pigossi
- Shelby Rogers vs. Martina Trevisan
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Tereza Martincova
- Anna Kalinskaya vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Danielle Collins vs. Caroline Dolehide
- Magda Linette vs. Madison Keys
- Magdalena Frech vs. Yulia Putintseva
- Lauren Davis vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Elisabetta Cocciaretto vs. Anastasia Potapova
- Beatriz Haddad Maia vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Ajla Tomljanovic vs. Fernanda Contreras Gomez