into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells: Seventh seed Sakkari recovers from slow start again to make last 16
Maria Sakkari edged out Anhelina Kalinina 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday evening. She’ll face the winner of the match between Czech Karolina Pliskova, the No 17 seed, and Russian Veronika Kudermetova, the No 11 seed, in the next round
Greece’s Maria Sakkari needed to come from a set down again as she battled her way into the last 16 of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells on Sunday.
The No 7 seed – the runner-up in 2022 – edged out Ukrainian Anhelina Kalinina, the No 27 seed, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, having also gone the distance to beat Shelby Rogers in the previous round.
Sakkari will play the winner of the match between Czech Karolina Pliskova, the No 17 seed, and Russian Veronika Kudermetova, the No 11 seed, next.
Kalinina, ranked No 29, edged out Czech Linda Fruhvirtova (4-6, 6-4, 7-5) in the previous round.
Indian Wells WTA 1000, other third-round results (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Martina Trevisan vs. Karolina Muchova
- Ons Jabeur vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Leylah Fernandez vs. Caroline Garcia
- Bernarda Pera vs. Sorana Cirstea
- Emma Raducanu vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Iga Swiatek vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Lesia Tsurenko vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Petra Kvitova vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Xinyu Wang
- Coco Gauff vs. Linda Noskova
- Anastasia Potapova vs. Jessica Pegula
- Karolina Pliskova vs. Veronika Kudermetova
- Rebecca Peterson beat Jil Teichmann: 3-6, 6-3, 6-1