into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells: Cirstea reaches last 16
Sorana Cirstea defeated Bernarda Pera 6-3, 6-1 on Monday and will face the winner of the match between Canadian Leylah Fernandez, the No 30 seed, and Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 5 seed, in the next round
Romanian Sorana Cirstea reached the last 16 of the Indian Wells by beating American Bernarda Pera 6-3, 6-1 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Monday.
Cirstea, ranked No 83, will play the winner of the match between Canadian Leylah Fernandez, the No 30 seed, and Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 5 seed, next.
Ahead of her victory, the Romanian won against Australian qualifier Kimberly Birrell (6-3, 6-2) and American Madison Keys, the No 19 seed (6-1 ret.).
Pera, ranked No 43, defeated Italian Lucia Bronzetti (7-5, 4-6, 6-3) and edged out Russian Liudmila Samsonova, the No 12 seed (2-6, 7-6 (8), 7-6 (6)) in the previous rounds of the Indian Wells tournament.
Indian Wells WTA 1000, other third-round results (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Iga Swiatek vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Ons Jabeur vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Emma Raducanu vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Martina Trevisan vs. Karolina Muchova
- Leylah Fernandez vs. Caroline Garcia: monday
- Lesia Tsurenko vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Barbora Krejcikova (16) beat Xinyu Wang: 6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-2
- Petra Kvitova (15) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 0-6, 6-0, 6-4
- Coco Gauff (6) beat Linda Noskova: 6-4, 6-3
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Anastasia Potapova (26): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Karolina Pliskova (17) beat Veronika Kudermetova (11): 6-1, 7-5
- Maria Sakkari (7) beat Anhelina Kalinina (27): 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Rebecca Peterson beat Jil Teichmann: 3-6, 6-3, 6-1