into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells: Krejcikova extends winning streak to eight, to meet Sabalenka in last 16
The former French Openc hampion defeated Xinyu Wang 6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-2 on Sunday
Czech Barbora Krejcikova, the No 16 seed, moved into the fourth round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells by beating Chinese Xinyu Wang 6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-2 on Sunday.
Krejcikova, ranked No 16 in the world, has now won eight matches in a row on the WTA Tour. She won the Dubai Open title last month, scoring wins over the two hottest players of the season so far – world No 1 Iga Swiatek and Australian Open champion Aryna Sabalenka.
The Czech will face Sabalenka again in the next round in Indian Wells, with Krejcikova hoping to even their head-to-head at 2-2.
The Czech won against Ukrainian wildcard Dayana Yastremska (6-1, 6-2) in the previous round of the Indian Wells tournament.
Wang, ranked No 67, defeated Belgian Elise Mertens (6-3, 6-1) and Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova, the No 18 seed (6-2, 6-3) in previous rounds this week.
Indian Wells WTA 1000, other third-round matches (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8,800,000):
- Petra Kvitova (15) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 0-6, 6-0, 6-4
- Coco Gauff (6) beat Linda Noskova: 6-4, 6-3
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Anastasia Potapova (26): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Karolina Pliskova (17) beat Veronika Kudermetova (11): 6-1, 7-5
- Maria Sakkari (7) beat Anhelina Kalinina (27): 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Rebecca Peterson beat Jil Teichmann: 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Iga Swiatek vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Ons Jabeur vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Martina Trevisan vs. Karolina Muchova
- Emma Raducanu vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Leylah Fernandez vs. Caroline Garcia
- Bernarda Pera vs. Sorana Cirstea