into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Linz Open: Potapova advances to quarter-finals
Anastasia Potapova beat Jule Niemeier 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 on Wednesday evening. She’ll face the winner of the match between German qualifier Anna-Lena Friedsam and Ukrainian Anhelina Kalinina, the No 4 seed, in the next round
Russian Anastasia Potapova, the No 8 seed, reached the quarter-finals of the Linz Open by winning against German Jule Niemeier 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at the Design Center Linz on Wednesday evening.
Potapova, ranked No 44, will play the winner of the match between German qualifier Anna-Lena Friedsam and Ukrainian Anhelina Kalinina, the No 4 seed, next.
In the previous round of the Linz tournament, the 21-year-old Russian edged out Italian Lucia Bronzetti (2-6, 6-3, 6-4) ahead of her victory. Niemeier, ranked No 71, edged out American wildcard Sofia Kenin (2-6, 6-3, 6-4).
Linz WTA 250, other second-round results (Design Center Linz, EUR 225.480, most recent results first):
- Alison Van Uytvanck vs. Petra Martic : Thursday in Linz
- Clara Tauson vs. Camila Giorgi : Thursday in Linz
- Madison Brengle vs. Donna Vekic : Thursday in Linz
- Dalma Galfi vs. Eva Lys : Thursday in Linz
- Anna-Lena Friedsam vs. Anhelina Kalinina : Thursday in Linz
- Maria Sakkari (1) beat Varvara Gracheva (LL): 6-4, 6-2
- Marketa Vondrousova beat Rebeka Masarova (Q): 6-1, 6-1