into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Mérida Open: Linette reaches last eight
Magda Linette benefited from the abandonment of Panna Udvardy (6-0, 2-5) on Thursday night. She’ll face Swede qualifier Rebecca Peterson in the next round
Pole Magda Linette, the top seed, moved into the quarter-finals of the Mérida Open when Hungarian Panna Udvardy retired at the Yucatan Country Club on Thursday night.
Linette, ranked No 21, led 6-0, 2-5 when Udvardy, ranked No 91, pulled out at the Yucatan Country Club on Thursday night.
The Pole will face Swede qualifier Rebecca Peterson next.
In the previous round, Magda Linette beat Colombian Camila Osorio (6-7 (2), 7-5, 6-2).
The Hungarian won against German Jule Niemeier (7-6 (1), 7-6 (5)) in the previous round.
Mérida WTA 250, other second-round results (Yucatan Country Club, hard, USD 259.303, most recent results first):
- Ysaline Bonaventure vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Sloane Stephens
- Rebecca Peterson beat Alycia Parks (5): 6-4, 6-2
- Elisabetta Cocciaretto (7) beat Xinyu Wang: 6-4, 6-2
- Camila Giorgi beat Nuria Parrizas Diaz: 7-6 (5), 6-2
- Catherine McNally beat Katie Volynets (WC): 6-3, 6-0
- Kimberly Birrell (Q) beat Xiyu Wang: 6-3, 6-2