into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Mérida Open: Peterson reaches last eight
Rebecca Peterson won against Alycia Parks 6-4, 6-2 on Thursday night. She’ll play the winner of the match between Pole Magda Linette, the top seed, and Hungarian Panna Udvardy in the next round
Swede qualifier Rebecca Peterson advanced to the last 8 of the Mérida Open by winning against American Alycia Parks, the No 5 seed, 6-4, 6-2 at the Yucatan Country Club on Thursday night.
Peterson, ranked No 140, will play the winner of the match between Pole Magda Linette, the top seed, and Hungarian Panna Udvardy next.
In the previous round, the Swede defeated Argentinian Nadia Podoroska (6-3, 7-5).
Parks, ranked No 51, edged out Mexican wildcard Fernanda Contreras Gomez (7-6 (7), 3-6, 7-5) in the first round.
Mérida WTA 250, other second-round results (Yucatan Country Club, hard, USD 259.303, most recent results first):
- Ysaline Bonaventure vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Sloane Stephens
- Magda Linette vs. Panna Udvardy
- Elisabetta Cocciaretto (7) beat Xinyu Wang: 6-4, 6-2
- Camila Giorgi beat Nuria Parrizas Diaz: 7-6 (5), 6-2
- Catherine McNally beat Katie Volynets (WC): 6-3, 6-0
- Kimberly Birrell (Q) beat Xiyu Wang: 6-3, 6-2