Nottingham Open: Raducanu retires after seven games in grass debut of 2022
Viktorija Golubic benefited from the retirement of Emma Raducanu and is through to meet Heather Watson in the next round
US Open champion Emma Raducanu was forced to retire in the first set of her grass court debut of the season due to an injury, sending Swiss Viktorija Golubic into the last 16 of the Nottingham Open at the Nottingham Tennis Centre on Tuesday.
Golubic, ranked No 55, led 4-3 when world No 11 Raducanu retired due to what appeared to be a left-side strain.
Golubic advances to face another Brit, Heather Watson, in the second round. Watson scored a 6-4, 6-2 win over Katie Volynets, also on Tuesday.
Nottingham WTA 250, first-round matches(Nottingham Tennis Centre, grass, USD 239.477)
- Maria Sakkari (1) beat Maria Camila Osorio Serrano: 6-2, 6-3
- Camila Giorgi (3) beat Sonay Kartal (WC): 6-4, 6-3
- Rebecca Marino beat Eden Silva (Q): 6-4, 6-4
- Tereza Martincova beat Oceane Dodin: 7-6 , 7-5
- Jodie Anna Burrage (WC) beat Lin Zhu: 7-6 , 6-4
- Heather Watson beat Katie Volynets: 6-4, 6-2
- Harriet Dart beat Donna Vekic: 6-4, 6-3
- Lauren Davis vs. Caroline Garcia
- Alison Riske vs. Daria Snigur
- Katie Boulter vs. Tatjana Maria
- Ajla Tomljanovic vs. Xinyu Wang
- Qiang Wang vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Magdalena Frech vs. Yuriko Miyazaki
- Katarzyna Kawa vs. Magda Linette
- Shuai Zhang vs. Cristina Bucsa