into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Caroline Garcia rounds out Doha quarter-finals with win over Muchova
Caroline Garcia edged out Karolina Muchova 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-4 on Wednesday evening. She’ll play Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, in the next round
Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 3 seed, edged out Czech Karolina Muchova 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-4 to reach the quarter-finals of the Qatar Open at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha on Wednesday evening.
Garcia, a runner-up two weeks ago at Lyon, improves to 11-3 on the season and will play Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, next.
Garcia had to work extremely hard for the victory. After dropping the opening set in a tiebreak, Muchova saved the first eight break points she faced in the second set, but the Frenchwoman finally broke through on her ninth, to take a 6-5 lead in the set.
She served it out to 15, and saved a break point at 3-4 in the final set before holding to stay level.
In the next game Garcia converted the break for 5-4 and served out the match, closing her victory in three hours.
In the previous round of the Doha Open, Muchova, ranked No 123, won against Italian Martina Trevisan (6-2, 6-2).
The quarter-finals are set for Thursday in Doha, and here is how they shape up:
Doha WTA 500, other second-round results (Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex, hard, USD 780.637, most recent results first):
- Iga Swiatek (1) beat Danielle Collins: 6-0, 6-1
- Beatriz Haddad Maia beat Daria Kasatkina (6): 6-3, 7-6 (7)
- Maria Sakkari beat Ekaterina Alexandrova: 6-3, 6-2
- Jessica Pegula (2) beat Jelena Ostapenko: 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
- Veronika Kudermetova (8) beat Sofia Kenin (WC): 6-2, 7-5
- Coco Gauff (4) beat Petra Kvitova: 6-3, 7-6 (6)
- Belinda Bencic (7) beat Victoria Azarenka (WC): 1-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4