into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Sakkari reaches quarter-finals in Doha
Maria Sakkari won against Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-3, 6-2 on Wednesday afternoon and will face the winner of the match between Czech Karolina Muchova and Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 3 seed, in the next round
Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, advanced to the last 8 of the Qatar Open by beating Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-3, 6-2 at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha on Wednesday.
Sakkari, ranked No 7, will face the winner of the match between Czech Karolina Muchova and Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 3 seed, next.
In the previous round of the Doha Open, the Greek won against Chinese Qinwen Zheng (6-2, 3-6, 6-3).
Alexandrova, ranked No 18, won against Czech qualifier Karolina Pliskova (6-1, 6-2) in the previous round of the Doha Open.
Doha WTA 500, other second-round results (Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex, hard, USD 780.637, most recent results first):
- Karolina Muchova vs. Caroline Garcia
- Iga Swiatek vs. Danielle Collins: wednesday
- Daria Kasatkina vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia: wednesday
- Jessica Pegula (2) beat Jelena Ostapenko: 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
- Veronika Kudermetova (8) beat Sofia Kenin (WC): 6-2, 7-5
- Coco Gauff (4) beat Petra Kvitova: 6-3, 7-6 (6)
- Belinda Bencic (7) beat Victoria Azarenka (WC): 1-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4