Sabalenka serves 23 double faults en route to win over lucky loser Dolehide in San Jose
Aryna Sabalenka edged out Caroline Dolehide 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 on Thursday and will play Russian Daria Kasatkina, the No 7 seed, in the quarter-finals
Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, the No 4 seed, advanced to the quarter-finals of the San Jose Open by edging out American lucky loser Caroline Dolehide 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 at San Jose State University Tennis Center on Thursday evening.
The Belarusian piled up 23 doubles faults and had to come from 3-5 down in the decider before emerging a winner in two hours and 37 minutes.
• Highest amount of double faults in a WTA match in 2022 :
23 – Sabalenka (San José)
21 – Sabalenka (Adelaide)
21 – Mladenovic (Warsaw)
19 – Sabalenka (Australian Open)
19 – Mladenovic (Lyon)
Source : JeuSetMaths Twitter account
Sabalenka has won three in a row against her next opponent, Kasatkina
Sabalenka, ranked No 6, will play Russian Daria Kasatkina, the No 7 seed, next.
The Belarusian, who began the season ranked No 2 in the world, is through to her fifth quarter-final of the year but it still chasing her first title of 2022.
Sabalenka holds a 3-1 edge in head-to-head against Kasatkina, having won their last three encounters.
San Jose WTA 500, other second-round matches (San Jose State University Tennis Center, hard, USD 757.900, most recent results first):
- Coco Gauff vs. Naomi Osaka
- Maria Sakkari vs. Shelby Rogers
- Veronika Kudermetova (9) beat Claire Liu: 6-2, 7-5
- Ons Jabeur (3) beat Madison Keys: 7-5, 6-1
- Paula Badosa (2) beat Elizabeth Mandlik (Q): 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (5)
- Daria Kasatkina beat Taylor Townsend (Q): 6-4, 6-0
- Amanda Anisimova beat Karolina Pliskova (8): 3-6, 7-5, 6-1