into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Ostapenko saves match point to reach Seoul Open quarter-finals
Jelena Ostapenko edged out Anastasia Gasanova 6-3, 5-7, 7-5 on Thursday night. She’ll play Andorran lucky loser Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva in the next round
Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, the top seed, saved a match point as she edged out Russian Anastasia Gasanova 6-3, 5-7, 7-5 to move into the last eight of the Seoul Open at the Seoul Olympic Park on Thursday night.
Gasanova double-faulted on match point late in the third set and Ostapenko took full advantage to go through.
The former French Open champion, ranked No 19, will face Andorran lucky loser Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva next.
The Latvian edged out wildcard Boyoung Jeong (6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (2)) ahead of her victory.
In the previous round, Gasanova, ranked No 141, defeated Australian qualifier Astra Sharma (7-5, 7-5).
Seoul WTA 250, other second-round results (Seoul Olympic Park, hard, USD 251.750, most recent results first):
- Emma Raducanu (6) beat Yanina Wickmayer: 6-3, 7-5
- Lulu Sun (Q) beat Anna Blinkova: 6-4, 7-6 (6)
- Magda Linette (3) beat Kristina Mladenovic: 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
- Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva beat Rebecca Marino (8): 6-4, 6-2
- Ekaterina Alexandrova (2) beat Na-Lae Han (WC): 6-1, 6-3
- Tatjana Maria (7) beat Kimberly Birrell: 6-0, 6-3
- Lin Zhu (4) beat Ankita Raina (Q): 6-1, 6-3