into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Zhang follows up win over Osaka by beating Alexandrova
Shuai Zhang defeated Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-3, 6-4 on Wednesday afternoon in Cincinnati. Zhang will next play Estonian Anett Kontaveit, the second seed.
Shuai Zhang beat Russian’s Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-3, 6-4 to move into the last 16 of the Western & Southern Open at the Linder Tennis Family Center in Cincinnati on Wednesday evening.
Zhang, ranked No 44, will play Estonian Anett Kontaveit, the second seed, on Thursday. The Chinese veteran had previously defeated Naomi Osaka 6-4, 7-5.
Alexandrova posted a good win over Leylah Fernandez, the No 13 seed, 6-4, 7-5 in the Cincinnati opening round.
Cincinnati WTA 1000, other second-round matches and results:
- Paula Badosa vs. Ajla Tomljanovic
- Shelby Rogers vs. Amanda Anisimova
- Aryna Sabalenka vs. Anna Kalinskaya
- Veronika Kudermetova vs. Simona Halep
- Madison Keys vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Iga Swiatek vs. Sloane Stephens
- Elena Rybakina vs. Garbine Muguruza
- Karolina Pliskova vs. Elise Mertens
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Emma Raducanu
- Jessica Pegula vs. Marta Kostyuk
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Alison Riske-Amritraj
- Catherine McNally vs. Ons Jabeur
- Petra Kvitova beat Sorana Cirstea: 6-2, 6-3
- Caroline Garcia (Q) beat Maria Sakkari (4): 7-6 (2), 6-7 (6), 6-1
- Anett Kontaveit beat Tereza Martincova (Q): 3-6, 7-5, 6-4