“Disappointments in the last few weeks are getting harder and harder to swallow” – Wawrinka says retirement is getting closer each week

The 40-year-old Swiss has no immediate plans of stopping but does not know if he will be back again in Paris next year

Stan Wawrinka, Roland-Garros 2025 Stan Wawrinka, Roland-Garros 2025 Image Credit: Imago / Psnewz

It’s been an emotional start to Roland-Garros this year. Sunday saw the tribute to 14-time champion Rafael Nadal, where he was joined on court by his biggest rivals – Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray. One day later, France’s own Caroline Garcia played her final match at her home Grand Slam, going down in the first round to Bernarda Pera, and then made a heartfelt speech on court.

Frenchman Richard Gasquet, through to the second round to face world No 1 Jannik Sinner, is playing his final Roland-Garros as well. And we may have also seen the final act of Stan Wawrinka on the Parisian clay courts after the 40-year-old Swiss went down in straight sets to Jacob Fearnley.

Following his latest defeat, his eighth loss in nine matches on the ATP Tour and above level, Wawrinka was open about the losses becoming more difficult to handle even though he does not have plans to stop immediately.

“I am of course close to the end. I’m not stopping right now, that’s for sure. I’m getting closer each week, that’s for sure. In general I think I’m still playing some good tennis. I still move well. I still enjoy. All those loss are getting more difficult to swallow. It’s always about the balance with the sacrifice and everything you’re doing on one side to be at that level. You need to kind of have some wins in the other side. So far I’m not getting too many wins. Not enough. But we’ll see. (I) just finish French Open, so we’ll see what’s going to come in the next few weeks,” the 2015 Roland-Garros champion said.

I think retirement from tennis is something extremely personal.

Stan_Wawrinka_Roland-Garros_2024 (2)
Baptiste Autissier / Panoramic

Wawrinka added that he has not made any firm plans on his retirement as of now and said he was not sure if he will back in Paris next year.

“I think retirement from tennis is something extremely personal. I don’t know exactly how I’m going to handle that yet. Let’s say there’s no guarantee that I will be back at the French Open next year. If I don’t win a few matches, if my results don’t get my ranking higher, then I will not come back whether as a wild card or anything else. That might give you some answers for now.”

Wawrinka, who has played often on the ATP Challenger circuit as well in recent times, said he has no problem playing the lower-tier events but added that the early losses are becoming more difficult to handle.

“I said for me I don’t think challengers are tournaments of a lesser level at all. Everything I have ever played in my career has value. It all depends on what I intend to do and where I want to go from here. But my first aim would obviously be to win a few more matches, up my ranking a little so I don’t have to ask for wild cards. That’s an easy answer. You only need really to have a good program. Disappointments in the last few weeks are getting harder and harder to swallow. I think a reality check is important here.”

Wawrinka ended his press conference by saying the latest loss will not make him quit immediately and that he does intend to play at his home event in Gstaad in July.

“Obviously, unless I decide to stop playing tennis tomorrow I will be in Gstaad, at home. If I decide to continue playing, well, obviously today I lost a match and it doesn’t feel good. Tomorrow’s another day. I’m definitely going to feel better. I’m not going to stop playing from one day to the next just because I lost. I will be in Gstaad,” the Swiss signed off.

People in this post

Your comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *