into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Shapovalov sets up quarter-final clash with Djokovic in Adelaide
Denis Shapovalov defeated Roman Safiullin 6-4, 6-3 on Thursday night and will play top seed Novak Djokovic in the last eight
Canadian Denis Shapovalov, the No 7 seed, defeated Russian qualifier Roman Safiullin 6-4, 6-3 to move into the quarter-finals of the Adelaide International 1 at Memorial Drive Tennis Centre on Thursday.
Shapovalov, ranked No 18, will play Serb Novak Djokovic, the top seed, in the last eight after he edged out Frenchman Quentin Halys in two tiebreaks.
The Canadian won against Australian qualifier Rinky Hijikata (2-6, 6-4, 6-3) in the previous round of the Adelaide 1 tournament.
In the previous round of the Adelaide 1 tournament, Safiullin, ranked No 88, beat Swede Mikael Ymer (6-4, 6-2).
Adelaide ATP250, other second-round results (Memorial Drive Tennis Centre, hard, USD 642.735, most recent results first):
- Jannik Sinner vs. Thanasi Kokkinakis
- Sebastian Korda vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Novak Djokovic vs. Quentin Halys
- Alexei Popyrin beat Marcos Giron: 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Daniil Medvedev (3) beat Miomir Kecmanovic: 6-0, 6-3
- Yoshihito Nishioka beat Mackenzie McDonald: 6-4, 6-3
- Karen Khachanov (8) beat Jack Draper: 6-4, 6-2