Berrettini begins Wimbledon bid with four-set win over Pella
Matteo Berrettini booked his spot in the Wimbledon second round by beating Guido Pella on Wednesday. Check out the other men’s results, too.
Matteo Berrettini is among the favorites at Wimbledon thanks to his big-hitting game and his current form. The ninth-ranked Italian, who reached round four at the All-England Club in 2019, powered his way to the Queen’s Club title earlier this month.
Berrettini has a long way to go before thinking about a much bigger title in London, but he is off to strong start after beating Guido Pella 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-0 as first-round action wrapped up Wednesday afternoon. The No 7 seed saw his successful service games streak end at 57 when he was broken in the second set, but he did not face another break point all day. Berrettini finished with 20 aces while advancing in two hours and 16 minutes.
- Seeds who won on Wednesday: Novak Djokovic (No 1), Andrey Rublev (No 5), Matteo Berrettini (No 7), Diego Schwartzman (No 9), Denis Shapovalov (No 10), Gael Monfils (No 13), Felix Auger-Aliassime (No 16), Cristian Garin (No 17), Grigor Dimitrov (No 18), Dan Evans (No 22), Lorenzo Sonego (No 23), Karen Khachanov (No 25), Fabio Fognini (No 26), Cameron Norrie (No 29), Taylor Fritz (No 31), Marin Cilic (No 32)
- Seeds who lost on Wednesday: Pablo Carreno Busta (No 11), Casper Ruud (No 12), Aslan Karatsev (No 20), Ugo Humbert (No 21), John Isner (No 28)
- Notable men on Wednesday’s schedule (1st and 2nd round): Roberto Bautista Agut (No 8)
- To follow all the news of Wimbledon, visit this page
- To follow the matches live , see the men’s and women’s draws , we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Wednesday’s schedule at Wimbledon is available here
- And everything you need to know about the tournament (practical information, tickets, etc.) is available in this article.