into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Dubai Open: Zverev pulls off comeback win against Lehecka, makes second round
Alexander Zverev edged out Jiri Lehecka 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 on Monday and will play the winner of the match between Finn Emil Ruusuvuori and Australian qualifier Christopher O’Connell in the next round
German Alexander Zverev, the No 7 seed, edged out Czech Jiri Lehecka 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round of the Dubai Open at the Aviation Club Tennis Centre on Monday.
Lehecka enjoyed a fantastic week in Qatar, reaching the semi-final where he lost to Andy Murray despite having five match points.
Zverev was making his first appearance at the tournament since 2015, when he lost in the first round as a 17-year-old wild card. He has not won back-to-back matches yet this season, reaching the second round at the Australian Open, Rotterdam, and Doha.
Zverev, now ranked No 16 following a lengthy absence through injury, will face the winner of the match between Finn Emil Ruusuvuori and Australian qualifier Christopher O’Connell next.
Dubai ATP500, other first-round results (Aviation Club Tennis Centre, hard, USD 2.855.495, most recent results first):
- Alexander Shevchenko vs. Hubert Hurkacz
- Novak Djokovic vs. Tomas Machac
- Alexander Bublik vs. Alexandar Lazarov
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Matteo Arnaldi
- Francesco Passaro vs. Mikael Ymer
- Daniel Evans vs. Borna Coric
- Karen Khachanov vs. Botic van de Zandschulp
- Maxime Cressy vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Emil Ruusuvuori vs. Christopher O’Connell
- Andrey Rublev (2) beat Filip Krajinovic: 7-5, 6-2
- Pavel Kotov (Q) beat Alexei Popyrin (WC): 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (3)
- Alejandro Davidovich Fokina beat Malek Jaziri (WC): 6-2, 6-0
- Tallon Griekspoor beat Constant Lestienne: 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- Marc-Andrea Huesler vs. Lorenzo Sonego: monday
- Thanasi Kokkinakis (WC) beat Quentin Halys (LL): 6-4, 7-6 (9)