I won’t be at Wimbledon this year, says Roger Federer
The Swiss might still have hopes of chasing a 21st Grand Slam title – but it won’t happen in SW19 this year
Roger Federer has confirmed that it is highly unlikely he’ll be seen at Wimbledon this summer – but he still hopes to play towards the end of the year.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion had his most recent knee surgery in August last year, and he has still not recovered fully to enable a return to court.
And speaking to Swiss broadcaster SRF he revealed that although his knee was “much better”, he was targeting a comeback after the grass-court Slam – where he has been champion eight times.
“It will certainly be a while – the end of the summer, early autumn, where I’m aiming for a comeback,” he said.
Federer – I feel very positive
The 40-year-old was talking as he watched the super-G skiing in Lenzerheide, Switzerland – and also spoke about his recovery and rehabilitation process, saying: “Obviously, I was on crutches for two months so you have to start from the bottom.
“It was certainly the right thing to do, the knee wasn’t right after Wimbledon [last year], so it couldn’t go on.
“Currently I’m in three parts. First the whole rehab, getting back on your feet at the beginning. Then afterwards, learning to walk and building up the whole thing.
“It’s only now where I’m at the phase where I can start thinking about my comeback.
“I had a very good MRI a few weeks ago, which makes me feel very positive.”
It is possible, then, that Federer’s comeback may therefore be at the US Open, scheduled to begin on August 29 and conclude on September 11. He had already committed to playing the Laver Cup alongside friend and rival Rafael Nadal, which runs from September 23 to 25.
Federer had already said in September 2021 that he would be “incredibly surprised” if he were fit in time for Wimbledon. This latest round of surgery was on the right inner meniscus, with the medical team taking the opportunity to treat a problem with the cartilage at the same time.