into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells Masters: Norrie upsets Rublev to reach quarter-finals, meets Tiafoe next
The 2021 Indian Wells champion is now on an eight-match winning streak
No 10 seed Cameron Norrie upset Russian Andrey Rublev, the No 6 seed, 6-2, 6-4 to advance to the quarter-finals of the Indian Wells Masters on Tuesday.
Norrie, who won the Rio Open last month, is now on an eight-match winning streak and improved to 21-3 for the season. He is also through to the quarter-finals at Indian Wells for the third year in a row.
Norrie, ranked No 12 in the world and the 2021 champion at Indian Wells, will next play American Frances Tiafoe, the No 14 seed. The Brit has won their only previous clash on the tour – a three-set win in 2021 at Delray Beach.
Earlier in the tournament, Norrie defeated Tung-lin Wu (6-2, 6-4) and Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel (6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-2).
The win levels the head-to-head between Norrie and Rublev to 2-2. Rublev, ranked No 7 in the world, had defeated Czech Jiri Lehecka (6-4, 6-2) and Frenchman Ugo Humbert (7-5, 6-3) earlier in the week.
Indian Wells Masters, other round of 16 matches (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8,800,000, most recent results first):
- Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (23) beat Cristian Garin (Q): 6-3, 6-4
- Daniil Medvedev (5) beat Alexander Zverev (12): 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 7-5
- Tommy Paul vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Jannik Sinner vs. Stan Wawrinka
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Jack Draper
- Frances Tiafoe vs. Alejandro Tabilo
- Taylor Fritz vs. Marton Fucsovics