Shapovalov’s slump continues with Montreal loss to De Minaur
Denis Shapovalov continues to struggle, as he falls to Alex de Minaur in front of the Canadian crowd on Tuesday. De Minaur advances to a second-round showdown with Grigor Dimitrov.
Atlanta champion Alex De Minaur maintained his fine form with a 7-5, 7-6(4) victory over a struggling Denis Shapovalov in round one of the National Bank Open on Tuesday afternoon.
The match was delayed by rain on Monday night at 3-3 in the second-set tiebreaker. De Minaur came back out and finished off Shapovalov in swift fashion, advancing after a total of one hour and 57 minutes. Grigor Dimitrov is next up for the Aussie in the round of 32 at the Montreal Masters.
Shapovalov is now 1-9 in his last 10 matches since beating Rafael Nadal in Rome.
Montreal Masters 1000, other first-round matches and results:
- Andy Murray vs. Taylor Fritz
- Miomir Kecmanovic vs. Botic van de Zandschulp
- David Goffin vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas
- Diego Schwartzman vs. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
- Frances Tiafoe vs. Benjamin Bonzi
- Fabio Fognini vs. Holger Rune
- Benoit Paire vs. Yoshihito Nishioka
- Cameron Norrie vs. Brandon Nakashima
- Sebastian Baez vs. Nick Kyrgios
- Marcos Giron vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Hugo Gaston vs. Jack Draper:
- Filip Krajinovic vs. Daniel Evans
- Adrian Mannarino (Q) beat Arthur Rinderknech (Q): 6-3, 6-3
- Grigor Dimitrov beat Alexis Galarneau (WC): 6-4, 7-5
- Gael Monfils vs. Pedro Martinez
- Marin Čilić (13) beat Borna Coric: 6-3, 6-2
- Maxime Cressy beat Aslan Karatsev: 6-4, 6-4
- Tommy Paul beat Vasek Pospisil (WC): 6-4, 6-4
- Pablo Carreno Busta beat Matteo Berrettini (11): 6-3, 6-2
- Jenson Brooksby beat Alexander Bublik: 6-2, 6-3
- Alex Molcan beat Mackenzie McDonald: 7-6(1), 6-4
- Emil Ruusuvuori beat Stan Wawrinka: 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Karen Khachanov beat Francisco Cerundolo: 7-6(4), 5-7, 6-3