Why tennis needs Nick Kyrgios… and more like him – Eye of the Coach #42
In the latest episode of Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou explains why tennis needs personalities like Nick Kyrgios to attract new fans
Nick Kyrgios has been sending Australian fans wild in this year’s Australian Open, his run to the doubles final with his old friend Thanasi Kokkinakis capturing the imagination of everyone at Melbourne Park.
Kyrgios has proved, once again, that he’s box office, on and off the court, and the Australian says he hopes fans who tuned in to watch him and Kokkinakis, perhaps watching tennis for the first time, would tune in again because they were excited by what they saw.
In his latest episode of Eye of the Coach, coach Patrick Mouratoglou says Nick Kyrgios is a one-off figure but that tennis needs to do everything it can to allow those players with big personalities to show them off on the court, without fear of being penalised by a too-strict code of conduct.
Key highlights of Eye of the Coach with Patrick Mouratoglou
- “If Kyrgios was playing chess, the stadium would be full” (0.08)
- Why tennis needs passion, excitement and craziness (0.33)
- How tennis can’t create another Nick Kyrgios (0.46)
- Tennis must let players show their personalities (0.53)
- Why the code of conduct must not be too strict (1.10)
- Players who are exciting are bringing new fans, so we need them (1.50)