Eye of the Coach #78: “On hard courts, Alcaraz, Djokovic and Medvedev have the edge”
In the latest episode of the Eye of the coach, Patrick Mouratoglou is talking about the upcoming 2023 hard court season
Carlos Alcaraz, Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev are all former US Open champions – and in the latest episode of Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou says he thinks the trio will go into the last Grand Slam of the year at a very similar level.
“I will be very interested to see if he’s able to win a lot of tournaments this summer on hard court,” the Frenchman said of Medvedev. “If so, he’s one of the guys who could win the US Open.”
Mouratoglou also thinks that observers should be looking out for Stefanos Tsitsipas after his strong end to the grasscourt season.
And he’s interested to see how women’s world No 1 Iga Swiatek bounces back after her disappointment at Wimbledon, where she lost in the quarter-final to Elina Svitolina.
Key moments from Eye of the Coach
- 0.09: Daniil Medvedev had an incredible start to the season.
- 0.22: If he can repeat that form, he could win the US Open.
- 0.26: Mouratoglou says there are three big players who could win the men’s singles in New York and are close in level: Medvedev, Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic.
- 0.34: The Frenchman is looking forward to seeing how Stefanos Tsitispas comes back on hard courts after a good end to his grass season.
- 0.42: He will also be monitoring Iga Swiatek. Her Wimbledon exit was painful, so can she come back on hard courts?