Cornet easily upsets Andreescu in Wimbledon first round
Bianca Andreescu is out right away at Wimbledon, as she falls to Alize Cornet in easy straight sets during first-round action on Wednesday.
Alize Cornet sent Bianca Andreescu packing from Wimbledon in the very first round with a convincing 6-2, 6-1 victory on Wednesday afternoon. Cornet did not drop serve a single time while advancing past the No 5 seed in one hour and 22 minutes.
These two players also faced each other in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, when Cornet prevailed 7-6(2), 7-5. Given that result and the fact that Andreescu has been struggling with injuries, Wednesday’s result really wasn’t much of a surprise.
The lopsided scoreline, however, was a bit alarming. Andreescu could have made it more competitive, but she went 0-for-6 on break points. The 2019 US Open champion was doomed by 34 unforced errors and by winning only four of 17 second-serve points. It didn’t help that Cornet turned in an incredibly clean performance. The Frenchwoman committed only seven errors in the entire match.
It ended in spectacular fashion, too.
- Seeds who won on Wednesday: Aryna Sabalenka (No 2), Elina Svitolina (No 3), Iga Swiatek (No 7), Karolina Pliskova (No 8), Garbine Muguruza (No 11), Victoria Azarenka (No 12), Elise Mertens (No 13), Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (No 16), Elena Rybakina (No 18), Karolina Muchova (No 19), Ons Jabeur (No 21), Madison Keys (No 23), Paula Badosa (No 30), Daria Kasatkina (No 31)
- Seeds who lost on Wednesday: Sofia Kenin (No 4), Bianca Andreescu (No 5), Belinda Bencic (No 9), Jessica Pegula (No 22), Anett Kontaveit (No 24), Petra Martic (No 26), Ekaterina Alexandrova (No 32)
- Notable women on Wednesday’s schedule (1st and 2nd round): Maria Sakkari (No 15)
- To follow all the news of Wimbledon, visit this page
- To follow the matches live , see the men’s and women’s draws , we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Wednesday’s schedule at Wimbledon is available here
- And everything you need to know about the tournament (practical information, tickets, etc.) is available in this article.