Ilya Ivashka achieves career-best Grand Slam showing by reaching last 16 at Wimbledon
The world No 79 from Belarus also reached the quarter-finals in Eastbourne last week
- What happened: Unseeded Ilya Ivashka is through to the fourth round of Wimbledon after a 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over Australia’s Jordan Thompson.
- Key stat: This is Ivashka’s first appearance in the main draw at Wimbledon and his best result at any Grand Slam tournament.
- Key stat #2: 27-year-old Ivashka is currently ranked a career-high No 79 in the world.
- Key stat #3: Ivashka has been in good form in recent weeks. He qualified for the ATP 250 event in Stuttgart, and the ATP 500 even in Halle, losing in the first round each time. He also qualified for Eastbourne event last week and went all the way to the quarter-finals there.
- Next opponent: Ivashka will face seventh seeded Matteo Berrettini in the fourth round. Ivashka and Berrettini have never met on the main ATP tour. They did meet once on the ATP Challenger tour in 2017 which the Italian won.
- Did you know: Russian pro Karen Khachanov is the brother-in-law of Ivashka since Karen’s wife Veronika Shkliaeva is the sister of Ilya’s wife
2021 WIMBLEDON LIVE UPDATES
- Seeds who have won on Saturday : (7) Matteo Berrettini, (14) Hubert Hurkacz, (23) Lorenzo Sonego
- Seeds who play on Saturday: (6) Roger Federer, (16) Felix Auger-Aliassime, (2) Daniil Medvedev vs (32) Marin Cilic, (4) Alexander Zverev vs (31) Taylor Fritz
- To follow all the news of Wimbledon, visit this page
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Friday’s schedule at Wimbledon is available here
- And everything you need to know about the tournament (practical information, tickets, etc.) is available in this article.