into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
WTA Adelaide International 2: Collins beats Pliskova to reach last 16
Danielle Collins won against Karolina Pliskova 6-2, 6-4 on Monday night and will face Swiss qualifier Jil Teichmann in the next round
American Danielle Collins, the No 10 seed, defeated Czech qualifier Karolina Pliskova 6-2, 6-4 to advance to the last 16 of the Adelaide International 2 at the Memorial Drive Tennis Park on Monday.
Pliskova, a former world No 1, is currently ranked No 31 in the world and had to come through the qualifying draw due to the high cutoff for this power-packed event.
Collins, ranked No 14, will face Swiss qualifier Jil Teichmann next.
Adelaide WTA 500, other first round results (Memorial Drive Tennis Park, hard, USD 780.637, most recent results first):
- Petra Kvitova (12) beat Elena Rybakina: 6-3, 7-5
- Jil Teichmann beat Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova: 7-5, 6-4
- Alison Riske-Amritraj vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Qinwen Zheng vs. Shelby Rogers
- Anett Kontaveit vs. Paula Badosa
- Irina-Camelia Begu vs. Storm Hunter
- Amanda Anisimova vs. Liudmila Samsonova
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Veronika Kudermetova
- Jelena Ostapenko vs. Anna Kalinskaya
- Anastasia Potapova vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Garbine Muguruza vs. Belinda Bencic
- Jaimee Fourlis vs. Ekaterina Alexandrova
- Beatriz Haddad Maia vs. Sorana Cirstea