into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Dominant Swiatek racks up another crushing win to reach quarter-finals in Dubai
Iga Swiatek won against Liudmila Samsonova 6-1, 6-0 on Wednesday afternoon and will play Czech Karolina Pliskova in the next round
Top seed Iga Swiatek continued her streak of dominance as she reached the quarter-finals of the Dubai Duty Free Championships with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Russian Liudmila Samsonova, the No 14 seed, at The Aviation Club Tennis Centre on Wednesday afternoon.
Swiatek, ranked No 1, will face Czech Karolina Pliskova next.
Since losing in the fourth round at the Australian Open, the world No 1 has now lost just eight games in five matches, a run that takes in her win last weekend in Qatar.
The 21-year-old Pole beat Canadian Leylah Fernandez (6-1, 6-1) ahead of her victory.
Earlier in the tournament, Samsonova, ranked No 13, edged out Spaniard Paula Badosa (6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 6-4) and benefited from the forfeit of Chinese Qinwen Zheng.
Dubai WTA 1000, other last 16 results (The Aviation Club Tennis Centre, hard, USD 2.788.468, most recent results first):
- Elena Rybakina vs. Coco Gauff
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Petra Kvitova
- Jelena Ostapenko vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Karolina Muchova beat Belinda Bencic (8): 6-1, 6-4
- Madison Keys beat Victoria Azarenka (15): 6-2, 6-1
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Ana Bogdan (Q): 6-4, 6-3
- Karolina Pliskova beat Anhelina Kalinina: 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-2