into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells: Kvitova wins see-saw battle over Ostapenko, to meet Pegula in last 16
Kvitova holds a 3-1 lead over Pegula in their head-to-head
Czech Petra Kvitova, the No 15 seed, won a wild third round clash over Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko to move into the last 16 of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.
In a battle of former Grand Slam champions, Ostapenko, the No 24 seed, won the first set 6-0, Kvitova bounced back to win the second set by the same 6-0 margin before winning the deciding set 6-4.
Kvitova, ranked No 15 in the world, will face American Jessica Pegula, the No 3 seed, next. The Czech holds a 3-1 lifetime edge over Pegula, including a win in the United Cup in January this year.
Ahead of her victory, the 33-year-old Czech defeated American wildcard Elizabeth Mandlik (6-1, 7-5).
Ostapenko, ranked No 25, won against Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich (7-5, 3-6, 6-2) in the previous round of the Indian Wells tournament.
Indian Wells WTA 1000, other third-round matches (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8,800,000):
- Coco Gauff (6) beat Linda Noskova: 6-4, 6-3
- Jessica Pegula beat Anastasia Potapova (26): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Karolina Pliskova (17) beat Veronika Kudermetova (11): 6-1, 7-5
- Maria Sakkari (7) beat Anhelina Kalinina (27): 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Rebecca Peterson beat Jil Teichmann: 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Iga Swiatek vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Ons Jabeur vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Martina Trevisan vs. Karolina Muchova
- Emma Raducanu vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Leylah Fernandez vs. Caroline Garcia
- Bernarda Pera vs. Sorana Cirstea
- Lesia Tsurenko vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Xinyu Wang