into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Miami Open: Cirstea reaches quarter-finals, defeating Vondousova
Sorana Cirstea beat Marketa Vondrousova 7-6 (3), 6-4 on Monday evening. She’ll play the winner of the match between Czech Barbora Krejcikova, the No 16 seed, and Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, the second seed, in the next round
Romanian Sorana Cirstea reached the quarter-finals of the Miami Open by winning against Czech Marketa Vondrousova 7-6 (3), 6-4 at the Hard Rock Stadium on Monday evening.
Cirstea, ranked No 74, will face the winner of the match between Czech Barbora Krejcikova, the No 16 seed, and Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, the second seed, next.
The Romanian defeated Mexican wildcard Fernanda Contreras Gomez (7-6 (6), 6-2), Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 5 seed (6-2, 6-3) and Czech qualifier Karolina Muchova (7-5, 6-1) before this round.
Vondrousova, ranked No 103, won against German Tatjana Maria (6-4, 6-1), Russian Veronika Kudermetova, the No 11 seed (6-4, 6-2) and No 17 seed Karolina Pliskova (6-1, 6-2).
Miami WTA 1000, other last 16 results (Hard Rock Stadium, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Bianca Andreescu vs. Ekaterina Alexandrova
- Petra Kvitova vs. Varvara Gracheva
- Elena Rybakina vs. Elise Mertens: Monday
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Magda Linette (20): 6-1, 7-5
- Anastasia Potapova (27) beat Qinwen Zheng (23): 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Martina Trevisan (25) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 6-3, 6-3