into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Kvitova halts Gracheva’s hot streak in Miami fourth round
Petra Kvitova battles past Varvara Gracheva in two tight sets on Monday in Miami. Kvitova awaits either Bianca Andreescu or Ekaterina Alexandrova in the quarter-finals.
It is a Sunshine Double’s worth of quarter-finals for Petra Kvitova, who advanced that far in Indian Wells and has now done the same at the Miami Open after defeating Russian qualifier Varvara Gracheva 7-5, 7-6(5) on Monday evening.
Kvitova will play the winner of the match between Canadian Bianca Andreescu and Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova in the quarter-finals. The world No 12 preceded Monday’s success with victories over Linda Noskova (6-3, 6-0) and Donna Vekic (6-4, 7-6(3)).
Gracheva qualified for the main draw and then ousted Belgian Maryna Zanevska (6-1, 7-5), Tunisian Ons Jabeur, the No 4 seed (6-2, 6-2) and Polish lucky loser Magdalena Frech (6-1, 6-2). So far this season the world No 54 has also reached the Australian Open third round, the Austin final and the Indian Wells fourth round (also as a qualifier).
Miami WTA 1000, other fourth-round results:
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Bianca Andreescu vs. Ekaterina Alexandrova
- Elena Rybakina (10) beat Elise Mertens: 6-4, 6-3
- Sorana Cirstea beat Marketa Vondrousova: 7-6 (3), 6-4
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Magda Linette (20): 6-1, 7-5
- Anastasia Potapova (27) beat Qinwen Zheng (23): 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Martina Trevisan (25) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 6-3, 6-3