into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Miami Open: Pegula prevails against Linette
Jessica Pegula won against Magda Linette 6-1, 7-5 on Monday evening and will face Russian Anastasia Potapova, the No 27 seed, in the next round
American Jessica Pegula, the No 3 seed, beat Pole Magda Linette, the No 20 seed, 6-1, 7-5 to move into the last eight of the Miami Open at the Hard Rock Stadium on Monday evening.
Pegula, ranked No 3, will play Russian Anastasia Potapova, the No 27 seed, next.
The American still didn’t lose a set in the tournament. She won against Canadian qualifier Katherine Sebov (6-3, 6-1) and No 30 seed Danielle Collins (6-1, 7-6) in the previous rounds .
Earlier in the tournament, Linette, ranked No 19, won against Russian Evgeniya Rodina (6-3, 6-4) and edged out Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, the No 14 seed (7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-4).
Miami WTA 1000, other last 16 results (Hard Rock Stadium, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Bianca Andreescu vs. Ekaterina Alexandrova
- Petra Kvitova vs. Varvara Gracheva
- Elena Rybakina vs. Elise Mertens
- Sorana Cirstea vs. Marketa Vondrousova: monday
- Anastasia Potapova beat Qinwen Zheng (23): 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Martina Trevisan (25) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 6-3, 6-3