into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Stephens survives wild three-setter against Kenin in Toronto
Sloane Stephens edges out Sofia Kenin in three sets on Monday night in Toronto. Stephens will get right back in action against Maria Sakkari on Tuesday.
Sloane Stephens won’t complain about any win, but she probably didn’t expect to be on the court for three hours and 12 minutes — even longer if you count rain delays — when she led Sofia Kenin 6-2, 5-1 at the National Bank Open on Monday night.
That is what turned out to be the case for Stephens, who squandered a whole host of opportunities to finish the match much earlier before finally prevailing 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-5.
Stephens needs six match points
Stephens missed five match points in three different games. Kenin saved two while serving in the seventh game of the second set and fought off two more as her opponent served for victory at 5-2. Stephens eventually got a look at one more with Kenin serving at 4-5 in the third. That one went by the wayside, as well. At long last, the world No 59 steadied the ship and converted her sixth chance while returning in the 12th game of the decider.
WTA Toronto other first-round matches and results
- Shuai Zhang vs. Cristina Bucsa
- Madison Brengle vs. Coco Gauff
- Sara Sorribes Tormo vs. Claire Liu
- Camila Giorgi vs. Emma Raducanu
- Anna Bondar vs. Elise Mertens
- Rebecca Marino vs. Qinwen Zheng
- Daria Kasatkina vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Amanda Anisimova vs. Carol Zhao
- Kaia Kanepi vs. Naomi Osaka
- Belinda Bencic vs. Tereza Martincova
- Veronika Kudermetova vs. Ajla Tomljanovic
- Jil Teichmann vs. Venus Williams
- Katherine Sebov vs. Yulia Putintseva
- Petra Kvitova vs. Alison Riske-Amritraj
- Storm Sanders vs. Leylah Fernandez
- Alize Cornet vs. Caroline Garcia
- Asia Muhammad (Q) beat Madison Keys: 7-6(5), 6-4
- Karolina Pliskova (14) beat Barbora Krejcikova: 6-3, 6-4
- Jelena Ostapenko (16) beat Anhelina Kalinina: 6-4, 6-2
- Serena Williams beat Nuria Parrizas Diaz (LL): 6-3, 6-4
- Simona Halep (15) beat Donna Vekic (LL): 6-0, 6-2
- Elena Rybakina beat Marie Bouzkova (Q): 7-5, 6-7(3), 6-1
- Beatriz Haddad Maia beat Martina Trevisan: 6-2, 2-6, 6-2