Zheng ends Williams’ stay in Cincinnati with three-set victory
Venus Williams is out of the Western & Southern Open, defeated by Qinwen Zheng during second-round action on Wednesday. Iga Swiatek is next up for Zheng.
Qinwen Zheng ousted American wild card Venus Williams 1-6, 6-2, 6-1 to move into the second round of the Western & Southern Open at the Linder Tennis Family Center in Cincinnati on Wednesday afternoon.
Zheng, ranked No 24, will play Pole Iga Swiatek, the top seed, next.
The 20-year-old from China defeated Belarusian qualifier Aliaksandra Sasnovich (6-1, 6-4) in the previous round of the Cincy Open.
In the previous round this Cincinnati event Williams beat Russian Veronika Kudermetova, the No 16 seed (6-4, 7-5).
Cincinnati WTA 1000, other second-round results:
- Mayar Sherif vs. Coco Gauff
- Ann Li vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Donna Vekic vs. Victoria Azarenka
- Elise Mertens vs. Marie Bouzkova
- Elena Rybakina vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Jasmine Paolini vs. Cristina Bucsa
- Petra Kvitova vs. Linda Noskova
- Karolina Muchova beat Petra Martic: 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Maria Sakkari (8) beat Sorana Cirstea: 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Iga Swiatek beat Danielle Collins (WC): 6-1, 6-0
- Marketa Vondrousova (10) beat Anastasia Potapova: 6-4, 6-2
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Martina Trevisan (Q): 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-3
- Daria Kasatkina (14) beat Varvara Gracheva (LL): 6-3, 6-1
- Sloane Stephens beat Caroline Garcia (6): 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Ons Jabeur (5) beat Anhelina Kalinina: 6-3, 6-7 (2), 7-6 (2)