into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Musetti kicks off South American swing with win over Cachin in Buenos Aires
Lorenzo Musetti won against Pedro Cachin 6-2, 6-3 on Thursday night. He’ll play Peruvian qualifier Juan Pablo Varillas in the next round
Italian Lorenzo Musetti, the No 3 seed, advanced to the last 8 of the Argentina Open by winning against Argentinian Pedro Cachin 6-2, 6-3 at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club on Thursday night.
It was the Italian’s first match of the season on clay, and his first time playing in South America at tour-level. Musetti improves to 31-17 lifetime on his best surface and will face Peru’s Juan Pablo Varillas in the quarter-finals at Buenos Aires.
Musetti was ruthless on return, winning 27 of 48 points and breaking Cachin five times from 10 opportunities in the Argentinian’s eight service games. The 20-year-old held serve in seven of his nine service games, more than enough to cruise to an uncomplicated victory in one hour and 25 minutes.
In the previous round of the Buenos Aires Open, Cachin, ranked No 68, defeated Brazilian Thiago Monteiro (7-6 (2), 6-4).
Buenos Aires ATP250, other second-round results (Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, clay, USD 626.595, most recent results first):
- Diego Schwartzman vs. Bernabe Zapata Miralles
- Francisco Cerundolo (5) beat Jaume Munar: 6-2, 6-1
- Juan Pablo Varillas beat Dominic Thiem (WC): 6-4, 6-4
- Carlos Alcaraz (1) beat Laslo Djere: 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
- Dusan Lajovic (Q) beat Camilo Ugo Carabelli (Q): 6-3, 6-1
- Cameron Norrie (2) beat Facundo Diaz Acosta (WC): 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6)
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry beat Roberto Carballes Baena: 4-6, 6-1, 6-2