into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Norrie gets first-ever win over Murray in battle of Brits to reach Cincy last 16
Cameron Norrie edged out Andy Murray 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 on Wednesday evening and will play the winner of the match between Norwegian Casper Ruud, the No 5 seed, and American wildcard Ben Shelton in the next round
No 9 seed Cameron Norrie edged out Andy Murray 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the last 16 of the Cincinnati Masters at the Linder Tennis Family Center on Wednesday evening.
The two embraced at the net, and even shared a chuckle after their two-hour and 36-minute encounter.
Murray was evidently in pain despite the smiles with Norrie, and was met immediately at his chair by a trainer, who returned to massaging his right quad and hip; he had received some treatment on both legs during the deciding set, and seemed to be suffering from cramp.
That is a problem that has plagued him in recent weeks – and will not have been helped by the lengthy first-round duel against Stan Wawrinka already being in his legs.
Murray will also be ruing a series of missed chances, converting only two of his 11 break points during the match, notably in the first game of the second set.
Norrie: There wasn’t much in it
“I think there was really not much in it,” Norrie told Amazon Prime afterwards. “I think it came down to a little bit of physicality…he was struggling a little bit towards the end.
“I’m still battling with the conditions a ittle bit, trying to find rhythm on my serve…Nothing was really working for me and I managed to find myself at one set all.
“He had a couple of chances and I played a couple of good points. Hopefully I can keep improving.”
Norrie, ranked No 11, will play the winner of the match between Norwegian Casper Ruud, the No 5 seed, and American wildcard Ben Shelton next.
Cameron Norrie edged out Dane Holger Rune (7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4) in the previous round of the Cincy Open.
In the previous round of the Cincy Open, Murray, ranked No 47, edged out Swiss Stan Wawrinka (7-6 (3), 5-7, 7-5).
Cincinnati Masters 1000, other second-round results (Linder Tennis Family Center, hard, USD 6.971.275, most recent results first):
- Frances Tiafoe vs. Sebastian Korda
- Borna Coric vs. Rafael Nadal
- Roberto Bautista Agut vs. Marcos Giron
- Stefanos Tsitsipas vs. Filip Krajinovic
- Taylor Fritz vs. Nick Kyrgios
- Miomir Kecmanovic vs. Jannik Sinner
- Casper Ruud vs. Ben Shelton
- Tommy Paul vs. Denis Shapovalov: wednesday
- John Isner vs. Hubert Hurkacz: wednesday
- Andrey Rublev (6) beat Fabio Fognini (LL): 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 6-2
- Felix Auger-Aliassime (7) beat Alex De Minaur: 6-3, 6-2
- Diego Schwartzman (13) beat Aslan Karatsev: 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2
- Daniil Medvedev (1) beat Botic van de Zandschulp: 6-4, 7-5
- Marin Čilić (14) beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-4, 6-7 (5), 7-5
- Carlos Alcaraz (3) beat Mackenzie McDonald (WC): 6-3, 6-2