into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Lopez beats Eubanks in Acapulco for first ATP win since the summer of 2021
Veteran and current Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez upset Christopher Eubanks in round one of the ATP Acapulco 500 on Tuesday.
Feliciano Lopez is not done yet.
At 41 years old and ranked 1,035th in the world, Lopez advanced to the second round of the Mexican Open at the Princess Mundo Imperial in Acapulco on Monday night by beating Christopher Eubanks 7-6(3), 6-4. It marked the Spaniard’s first win at the tour level since the clay-court event in Gstaad during the summer of 2021.
Lopez may be thought of more as a tournament director (Mutua Madrid Open) than a player, but he showed on Monday that he can still be dangerous with his big serve — especially in favorable conditions such as those in Acapulco. The left-hander fired 11 aces and won 81 percent of his first-serve points while advancing after one hour and 34 minutes.
Lopez will play the winner of the match between Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka and American Frances Tiafoe, the No 6 seed, next.
Acapulco ATP500, other first-round matchup and results:
- Alex De Minaur vs. Rodrigo Pacheco Mendez
- Jacopo Berrettini vs. Oscar Otte
- Daniel Altmaier vs. Brandon Nakashima
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Mackenzie McDonald
- Nuno Borges vs. Nick Chappell
- Matteo Berrettini vs. Alex Molcan
- Cameron Norrie vs. Adrian Mannarino
- Emilio Gomez vs. Tommy Paul
- Guido Andreozzi vs. Casper Ruud
- Taro Daniel vs. J.J. Wolf
- Yoshihito Nishioka vs. Frances Tiafoe
- Ben Shelton vs. Holger Rune
- Denis Shapovalov beat Miomir Kecmanovic: 6-7(4), 6-0, 7-5
- Taylor Fritz (3) beat John Isner: 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Michael Mmoh beat Marcos Giron: 7-6(3), 6-1