into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Jelena Ostapenko aiming for Coco Gauff after reaching last 16 at Australian Open
Jelena Ostapenko won against Kateryna Baindl 6-3, 6-0 on Friday night and will play No 7 seed Coco Gauff in the next round
Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, the No 17 seed, reached the last 16 of the Australian Open by winning against Ukrainian Kateryna Baindl 6-3, 6-0 at Melbourne Park on Friday night.
Ostapenko, ranked No 17, will face No 7 seed Coco Gauff next. The 2017 Roland-Garros champion reaches the second week at the Australian Open for the first time in her career.
Ostapenko needed just 66 minutes to record her victory as she cracked 37 winners against just six for Baindl.
“It was a really good match today. I felt like I played really well and better than the previous two rounds. Yeah, I just didn’t give many chances to my opponent, so I’m really happy with the way I played today.”
Ahead of her victory, the Latvian defeated Ukrainian Dayana Yastremska (6-4, 6-2) and Hungarian Anna Bondar (7-6 (5), 5-7, 6-0).
Baindl, ranked No 95, beat Russian Kamilla Rakhimova (7-5, 6-7 (8), 6-1) and American Catherine McNally (6-1, 7-6 (4)) earlier in the tournament.
Melbourne (Grand Slam), other third-round results (Melbourne Park, hard, USD 24.297.942, most recent results first):
- Magda Linette vs. Ekaterina Alexandrova
- Laura Siegemund vs. Caroline Garcia
- Linda Fruhvirtova vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Aryna Sabalenka vs. Elise Mertens
- Shuai Zhang vs. Katie Volynets
- Camila Giorgi vs. Belinda Bencic
- Nuria Parrizas Diaz vs. Donna Vekic
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Karolina Pliskova
- Lin Zhu vs. Maria Sakkari
- Madison Keys vs. Victoria Azarenka
- Iga Swiatek (1) beat Cristina Bucsa (Q): 6-0, 6-1
- Coco Gauff beat Bernarda Pera: 6-3, 6-2
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Marta Kostyuk: 6-0, 6-2
- Elena Rybakina (22) beat Danielle Collins (13): 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
- Barbora Krejcikova (20) beat Anhelina Kalinina: 6-2, 6-3