into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Daniil Medvedev closes in on the medal round in Tokyo, defeating Fabio Fognini in three sets
Daniil Medvedev battled through extreme heat and a pesky Fabio Fognini to take his place in the Olympic quarter-finals.
- What happened: No 2 seed Daniil Medvedev powered past Italy’s Fabio Fognini in grueling heat in Tokyo to book his spot in the Olympic quarter-finals, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
- Next Opponent?: Medvedev will square off with No 6 seed Pablo Carreno Busta in the quarter-finals at the Tokyo Olympics. He defeated the German player Koepfer.
- Key statistic: Medvedev has now won four consecutive matches against Fognini, after losing his first tilt against the Italian in Cincinnati in 2017.
- Key Statistic # 2: Neither player made more than 50 percent of their first serves, but Medvedev saved seven of eight break points, including all six he faced in the third set, to pull away with the win.
- Other key information: Medvedev suffered in the brutal Tokyo head but seemed to regain his energy during the 10-minute break between sets two and three.