US Open: Pliskova beats Azarenka to set up Sabalenka clash in quarters
Karolina Pliskova defeated Victoria Azarenka 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-2 to move into the US Open quarter-finals for the fifth time in the last seven years
Czech Karolina Pliskova, the No 22 seed who reached the US Open final in 2016, has returned to the quarter-finals for the second year running after a hard-fought three set win over another former world No 1, Victoria Azarenka, on Monday.
Pliskova battled past two-time Grand Slam winner Victoria Azarenka 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-2 in three hours and two minutes to reach the last eight at Flushing Meadows for the fifth time in the last seven years.
This was the third time in four matches this week that Pliskova has been taken to three sets. She had beaten Pole Magda Linette (6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (8)), Marie Bouzkova (6-3, 6-2) and Swiss Belinda Bencic, the No 13 seed (5-7, 6-4, 6-3) in the previous rounds.
The Czech woman, now ranked No 22 in the world, will play sixth seed Aryna Sabalenka next. The Belarusian defeated American Danielle Collins 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 in another fourth round clash.
The two have met on four occasions with both players winning twice each. Pliskova has won their last two encounters, which included their semi-final clash at Wimbledon last year.
US Open, New York City (Grand Slam), other fourth round results
- Aryna Sabalenka (6) beat Danielle Collins (19) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Iga Swiatek (1) beat Jule Niemeier: 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
- Jessica Pegula (8) beat Petra Kvitova (21): 6-3, 6-2
- Ons Jabeur (5) beat Veronika Kudermetova (18): 7-6 (1), 6-4
- Ajla Tomljanovic beat Liudmila Samsonova: 7-6 (8), 6-1
- Coco Gauff (12) beat Shuai Zhang: 7-5, 7-5
- Caroline Garcia (17) beat Alison Riske-Amritraj (29): 6-4, 6-1