into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Eye of the Coach #52: Linda Fruhvirtova is right – she could be world No 1
In the latest episode of Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou assesses teenage sensation Linda Furhvirtova
Linda Fruhvirtova has been much talked about in recent months – and now she’s grabbing headlines with a sensational run of form, beating 20th seed Elise Mertens and then two-time Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka in Miami.
The 16-year-old has already said that her aim is to be world No 1 – and certainly one high-profile coach agrees that it’s a possibility, with her game improving immensely as she steps up her power and control.
In the latest episode of Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou runs the rule over a player he knows very well from her years at his academy.
- 0.10 – Lots of players say they want to be world No 1, but not all of them genuinely believe it’s possible.
- 0.16 – One of Linda Fruhvirtova‘s biggest assets is her mental strength. “She’s an incredible competitor. She’s an incredible fighter,” says Mouratoglou.
- 0.31 – Mouratoglou has known Fruhivrtova since she was 10 years old, when she first arrived at his academy.
- 0.41 – Mouratoglou lists the improvements he has seen in Fruhvirtova’s game in recent months. He highlights her increased power behind each ball, the limited number of unforced errors she concedes, and the amount of control she has.
- 1.17 – “She’s giving 100% every time she steps on a tennis court,” says Mouratoglou, praising Fruhvirtova’s effort and commitment.
- 1.27 – Mouratoglou says the next step for Fruhvirtova is for her to go back to smaller tournaments and play without the hype that is generated around high-profile events.
- 1.47 – Fruhvirtova – like many other players – has said she wants to top the WTA rankings, and Mouratoglou agrees that she has the potential to be world No 1.