into your inbox
into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribed
Eye of the Coach #57: Holger Rune is young but not scared of anybody – and he knows how to win
In the latest episode of Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou talks about the qualities of Holger Rune, the revelation of Roland Garros
Holger Rune is one of the revelations of Roland-Garros 2022. The 19-year-old Dane reached the quarter-finals of the Paris tournament in his first appearance, his best result in a Grand Slam. The world No 40 dominated Denis Shapovalov,15th in the ATP rankings, in the first round and then Stefanos Tsitsipas, finalist in Paris last year and world No 4, in the round of 16.
In 2022, the Mouratoglou Academy resident had the best season of his career. He won his first ATP title in Munich at the beginning of May, beating his first Top 10 member, world No 3 Alexander Zverev. Holger Rune is currently ranked a career-high 40th in the world and his run at Roland-Garros will ensure he breaks into the Top 30.
In the latest episode of The Eye of the Coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, Simona Halep’s coach, assesses Rune’s talent – concluding that he has enormous potential and could soon become one of the best players in the world.
Key moments in Eye of the Coach
- 10′: Rune’s two main qualities: He believes in himself and he is very competitive at only 19 years old.
- 20′: Holger Rune has always been able to impose himself since he was young. He was one of the best players in the world at the age of 14 and won the French Open as a junior.
- 33′: The Dane is not afraid of anyone on the circuit and when he steps on the court he knows he can beat anyone.
- 45′: He works very hard to achieve his dream, and that’s what Patrick Mouratoglou likes most about him.
- 1’00: He has very good physical qualities. He is good in attack and in defence, he is a very complete player.
- 1’27: His game is better on clay but he can play very well on all surfaces.
- 1’40: The fact that 19-year-old Carlos Alcaraz is already at a top level in the world will be a boost for Holger Rune.