In Strasbourg, Steve Simon assures that Peng Shuai is “safe”
On Wednesday, during the Strasbourg Open, WTA chief Steve Simon gave reassuring news about Peng Shuai
© Rights Reserved
Speaking at the WTA Strasbourg Open on Wednesday, WTA Chief Executive Steve Simon has said that he has reassurances about the safety and the whereabouts of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai.
Simon’s comments come as the WTA Tour prepares to return to China later this year. As a reminder, Peng Shuai had mysteriously disappeared in November 2021 after accusing a former vice premier of China of sexual abuse. Since then, the rare appearances of the former world No 1 doubles player have been very circumspect and she has still not appeared “free”. The WTA Tour had decided to suspend all tournaments in China following the incident but last month stated that the tournaments would resume in 2023.
“We were reassured by the fact that Peng Shuai is safe and we know where she is,” said Simon on Wednesday. “Two years later, the progress we wanted to see in China has not led to a solution. So it was time to change our approach. We were reassured by the fact that Peng Shuai is safe and we know where she is. That was the first thing to do.”
“We never said we would never come back to China,” the American said according to L’Equipe. “The main thing is how can we defend Peng Shuai’s interests and how can we make meaningful changes there to solve problems? I hope the return of the WTA to China will give us the opportunity to do that.”
People in this post
More tennis news
August 20, 1995: Andre Agassi’s summer of revenge comes to New Haven
Paul saves match point to stun Zverev in Cincinnati, sets up Cobolli quarterfinal in wide-open upper half
Fils blitzes de Minaur to reach Cincinnati quarterfinals, he’s back in the Top 20
Beyond winners: Exploring diverse tennis betting markets
The week of his life: Tirante topples Mensik to reach a first Masters quarter-final