Taylor Fritz advances to maiden Grand Slam quarter-final at Wimbledon
Taylor Fritz defeated Australian qualifier Jason Kubler to achieve his best result at a Grand Slam tournament
American Taylor Fritz, the No 11 seed, ended the dream run of Australian qualifier Jason Kubler in straight sets to reach the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career at Wimbledon on Monday.
Taylor Fritz won 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 to reach the last eight where he will face either second seed Rafael Nadal or Dutchman Botic van de Zandschulp.
Fritz hit 20 aces in the two-hour contest, and broke Kubler’s serve on six occasions (6 of 13 break points) while losing his own serve only once.
Taylor Fritz is on an eight-match winning streak
Taylor Fritz has now won eight matches in a row, having triumphed at Eastbourne the week prior to Wimbledon. That was the American’s second title of the year, having won his first ATP Masters Series title at Indian Wells in March, where he had defeated Nadal in the final.
The American has not dropped a set to reach the quarters at Wimbledon this year – having defeated Italian Lorenzo Musetti (6-4, 6-4, 6-3), wildcard Alastair Gray (6-3, 7-6 (3), 6-3) and Slovak Alex Molcan (6-4, 6-1, 7-6 (3)) in straight sets earlier in the tournament.
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), fourth round results (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass)
- Nick Kyrgios beat Brandon Nakashima: 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-2
- Cristian Garin beat Alex De Minaur (19): 2-6, 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
- Novak Djokovic (1) beat Tim van Rijthoven (WC): 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
- Jannik Sinner (10) beat Carlos Alcaraz (5): 6-1, 6-4, 6-7 (8), 6-3
- Cameron Norrie (9) beat Tommy Paul (30): 6-4, 7-5, 6-4
- David Goffin beat Frances Tiafoe (23): 7-6 (3), 5-7, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
- Botic van de Zandschulp vs. Rafael Nadal