into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Wimbledon: Paul advances to last 16
Tommy Paul beat Jiri Vesely 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 on Friday and will face the winner of the match between No 9 seed Cameron Norrie and American Steve Johnson in the next round
American Tommy Paul, the No 30 seed, beat Czech Jiri Vesely 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 to reach the last 16 of Wimbledon at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Friday afternoon.
Paul, ranked No 32, will play the winner of the match between No 9 seed Cameron Norrie and American Steve Johnson next.
Earlier in the tournament, the American won against Spaniard Fernando Verdasco (6-1, 6-2, 7-6 (4)) and Frenchman Adrian Mannarino (6-2, 6-4, 6-1).
Vesely, ranked No 68, defeated Argentinian Federico Coria (6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (3)) and Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (6-3, 5-7, 6-7 (2), 6-3, 7-6 (7)) in the previous rounds.
London (Grand Slam), other third-round results (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass, GBP 40.350.000, most recent results first):
- Lorenzo Sonego vs. Rafael Nadal
- Richard Gasquet vs. Botic van de Zandschulp
- Alex Molcan vs. Taylor Fritz
- Jack Sock vs. Jason Murray Kubler
- Nick Kyrgios vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Brandon Nakashima vs. Daniel Elahi Galan Riveros
- Alex De Minaur vs. Liam Broady
- Cristian Garin vs. Jenson Brooksby
- Cameron Norrie vs. Steve Johnson
- Oscar Otte vs. Carlos Alcaraz
- Jannik Sinner vs. John Isner
- Novak Djokovic vs. Miomir Kecmanovic: friday
- Ugo Humbert vs. David Goffin: friday
- Frances Tiafoe (23) beat Alexander Bublik: 3-6, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (3), 6-4
- Tim van Rijthoven (WC) beat Nikoloz Basilashvili (22): 6-4, 6-3, 6-4