Tomljanovic to meet Rybakina in Wimbledon quarter-finals
Ajla Tomljanovic defeated Alize Cornet in three sets and will meet 17th seeded Kazakh Elena Rybakina in the Wimbledon quarter-finals
Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic is through to the quarter-finals of Wimbledon for the second year in a row after beating Frenchwoman Alize Cornet in three sets at the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club on Monday
Tomljanovic came from a set down to beat Cornet 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 and she will face 17th seed Elena Rybakina in the last eight. Rybakina defeated Petra Martic in straight sets in another fourth-round encounter.
Tomljanovic yet to drop a set at Wimbledon 2022
Last year’s Wimbledon marked the first time that Tomljanovic advanced to the quarter-final round at a Slam and 12 months later, the Australian will have a chance to reach her first Grand Slam semi-final on Wednesday.
Tomljanovic had defeated Swiss Jil Teichmann, the No 18 seed (6-2, 6-3), American qualifier Catherine Harrison (6-2, 6-2) and Czech Barbora Krejcikova, the No 13 seed (2-6, 6-4, 6-3) in her previous matches this fortnight.
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), round of 16 results (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass)
- Amanda Anisimova (20) beat Harmony Tan: 6-2, 6-3
- Simona Halep (16) beat Paula Badosa (4): 6-1, 6-2
- Elena Rybakina beat Petra Martic: 7-5, 6-3
- Ons Jabeur (3) beat Elise Mertens (24): 7-6 (9), 6-4
- Jule Niemeier beat Heather Watson: 6-2, 6-4
- Tatjana Maria beat Jelena Ostapenko (12): 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
- Marie Bouzkova beat Caroline Garcia: 7-5, 6-2