into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
WTA Adelaide International 2: Bencic beats Kalinskaya to move into quarter-finals
The Swiss will play the winner of the match between Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 4 seed, and Czech qualifier Katerina Siniakova in the next round
Swiss Belinda Bencic, the No 8 seed, reached the quarter-finals of the WTA Adelaide International by beating Russian qualifier Anna Kalinskaya 6-3, 6-3 at the Memorial Drive Tennis Park on Wednesday.
Bencic, ranked No 13 and the reigning Olympic singles gold medallist, will play the winner of the match between Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, the No 4 seed, and Czech qualifier Katerina Siniakova next.
The Swiss had beaten former world No 1 Garbine Muguruza (6-3, 6-4) in the first round while Kalinskaya, ranked No 64, had overcome Latvian Jelena Ostapenko (6-3, 6-4).
Adelaide WTA 500, other second round results (Memorial Drive Tennis Park, hard, USD 780,637, most recent results first):
- Petra Kvitova (12) beat Qinwen Zheng (Q): 7-6 (6) ret.
- Danielle Collins (10) beat Jil Teichmann (Q): 6-3, 7-6 (2)
- Caroline Garcia vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Ekaterina Alexandrova vs. Veronika Kudermetova
- Kaia Kanepi vs. Paula Badosa
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Beatriz Haddad Maia vs. Amanda Anisimova